Like most of America, Jason and I saw "The Dark Knight" over the weekend. We went with the usual group of folk who go Cinematic Events all the time. We sat by my parents, who had a couple of young men sitting on their other side. Now, I am ENVELOPED by this movie. If you haven't seen it yet, get off your computer, find a sitter and GO SEE IT!
The REAL fun, however, didn't start until after the movie was over. Jas and I stood up watching the credits to see if they would mention "In Memory of Heath" or something similar (they did). After I saw that I tried to urge Jason on but he was staying behind for some reason. I saw my mom talking to the kids that were sitting next to her but didn't think anything of it. After watching more credits, thinking to myself 'lets go, lets go, lets go'... Jason started leaving. Down a few of the stairs Jason taps a skinny guy on the shoulder and says "I really appreciated that you turned your phone off during the movie." Now I noticed that this was the guy that was talking to mom. After saying that to the guy, his bigger friend comes out behind him and starts arguing. I got in the mix, not being one to shy away from contention, asking what the big deal was. The bigger friend stepped up and said he didn't like Jason's tone.
I said to him (and mind you, I have NO idea of what was REALLY going on.) "You know, people come to the movies to see a good show, and it is just common courtesy to turn your phone off. There were at least 2 previews mentioning this."
Big Guy: "Who really turns thier phones off during a movie?"
Me: "Mine sure IS" pulling out my phone. "I want other people to enjoy the movie too."
Jason: "All I am saying is that it was pretty inconsiderate of you to have your phone on the whole time."
*****So here is the back story. My mom, sitting next to this skinny guy had to ask him not once, but twice to not answer his phone. How many times did he answer it you ask? FIVE. Five times he answered that phone. It was on vibrate, but then the blare of light that shines in your eyes in the darkened theater turned on all the time. So, after the movie she asked him if everything was okay, and if it was really that important for him to take all those calls. His buttinsky friend (who I am assuming was doubling as his body guard) said "I bring my phone just in case something goes wrong at home with the kids or something." Then Dad said "Then I wouldn't go to the movie. If there is something THAT wrong, just stay home." Jason was standing there listening to them mouth of to my parents (which is why I stood there watching the credits.) and was getting really mad.
So, fast forward back to the last thing Jason said to the Big Guy...
BG: "Well, why don't we settle this outside then."
Jason: "Fine, let's go. Mandy, hold my sunglasses."
Me, pushing BG: " Just go, you're being immature. Just leave."
BG: "No, I don't like your tone and I think we should go outside."
We happened to be standing in front of Jason's younger brother Brett at this point. He was sitting a few rows ahead of us. He stands up and is much bigger than Big Guy.
Brett: "Come on guys, this was an awesome show, let's just let it go and go home."
BG: "Your right, it was a good show, but who are YOU to be talkin?"
Brett: "I'm his brother."
BG: "Oh, well, then you tell him to quit getting on my case then."
B: "You need to show some respect."
We kept walking out of the theater, and the little guy kept holding back the bigger guy (like that would have done anything), but BG was insistent that they settle things like men. Outside.
Jason was pumped. Brett was equally as excited. BG and LG started chickening out the closer we got to the exit. They didn't go outside. In fact, they were hiding behind a group of moviegoers that were in line for the next showing. You could tell that they knew they would get the crap kicked out of them. I am glad that they didn't fight.
*** A PLEA FROM A FREQUENT CINEMATIC EVENT GOER..... PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR PHONE! Don't answer, don't text, don't even browse the web. It is annoying, rude, and if you have a problem, GO OUTSIDE THE THEATER!
Thanks for reading this incredibly long post. Does anyone else fell this way? Am I the only one in America that values a good 'alone time' without my cell phone bugging me during a movie?? Please let me know what you think!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your absolutely right, what a pain in the butt to have people with cell phones going off and lighting up the immediate area like a beacon. That said however, it makes me even more mad that anyone would treat my family with disrespect. The most wonderful family in the world!!! Way to go Jason!! I want you and Brett in my corner!!
ReplyDeleteTo heck with the "Dark Knight" I wouls so rather spend my eight bucks to see Jason and the Baby Bro go at it w/ BG & LG!! Better yet, Joyce and Neil are you really going to put up with those punks running their mouths @ you like that!!!! NEXT......
ReplyDeleteit proves my point--cell phones are evil and created by the DEVIL
ReplyDeleteDad
Yea, dad hates cell phones. I love them but I do turn it off at the movies. I love the movies! Go Batman!! I love Christian Bale
ReplyDeleteDad, you HAVE a cell phone. (at least you leave it in the car. all the time.) Plus, a LASER PEN is worse! Yeah, I'm pointing at you!!
ReplyDelete(at least not DURING the movie)
To clarify, he DOES NOT use the pen DURING the movie. Just the previews, and just that one time. A long time ago.
ReplyDeleteHahaha! Why wasn't I invited to the show with you guys ;-) I would have loved to see this. I agree with you- turn off your phone! By the way, we saw Batman yesterday and loved it. Oh... and nobody had their phones on or was texting. Thank goodness!
ReplyDeleteRoberta, you are ALWAYS invited to come to the movies with us. You would only have to drive 10 hours, but hey- we'd wait!! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, wow and wow!
ReplyDelete