My dad works at the same Stock Brokerage firm that I do. He has been Trader all my life. In fact, he is how I first got my job. A broker at the firm needed another assistant because he was getting so busy. I worked there for several years and then eventually got licenced myself. He makes his living making money or "spreads" as a trader in the stock market. (Google it) If someone wants him to become a Market Maker for their company, and it trades well then he will normally do it. This one particular company- and I don't think he could even tell you the name of it- asked him to be a market maker. The company was based in London, and had good activity. Do we care what the company does? I'll be honest when I say that a lot of the penny stocks we deal with we have no idea what the company even does. As long as we can buy it from this guy at a price and sell it to this other guy at a different price then you can make some money. Most of the time. (a stock market lesson another time perhaps) He picked up this one particular stock first thing in the morning. The next thing we knew the phone lines started ringing like crazy and we would answer them and they would have a screeching sound on the other line, thus effectively tying up all our phone lines. A guy called our CFO at HOME and threatened his wife! They didn't know WHO was trading the stock, other than a guy named Neil. They would call and talk with another owner, of whom thought we shouldn't drop the stock just because they were bulling us to do so. They asked if they could come to the office and show a video of what this terrible company did. Apparently this company had a product for which they did animal testing. What the mafia didn't know was that this company was actually merged off and didn't even do the same thing anymore! They kept asking our firm to drop the stock. By this time our firm had called the police. The FBI had come later that day with a huge file on this guy. He was part of an animal rights group back east that was wanted for a different type of corporate terrorism. That's right... car bombings. Neil finally dropped the stock after the FBI suggested it would be best. They told us that it could have been a lot worse and to consider us lucky. Of course Neil was afraid to start his car after work that day. And I had to ride home with him!
What irks me the most is that these people can get away with this! They are using their "Freedom of Speech" rights in order to conduct this type of terrorism. All except the car bombings, of course. Does anyone else have stories about the animal crazies? Are YOU an animal crazy?? Let's discuss.
Freaks.
ReplyDeleteSomeone fwd me the email that PETA had on mother's milk- ugh. seriously!? thats' nuts.
my job title is human cow, nice.
I was involved in the Sierra Club for a while, but it was not as extreme then...anyway- glad all is safe.
Paul will be the first to agree with you about the Mafia thing. Anyways, that is all so scary! What is happening to our world! By the way, ever since I had my kids, both my hips and back do the same thing quite often. In fact, I had to go to the chiro just the other day for the same thing. I too started having the prob after wearing high heels to church. What we do for fashion!
ReplyDelete