Sunday evening Jason was complaining that he had to go back to work after a 15 day vacation. (we were going to go to France, but then ended up not... long story) I would complain too, he works 12 hour days. He went to bed around 11 so he would be up for his early day. Around 1am he woke up with a really bad pain in his abdomen. He thought it was indigestion and complained about it. Of course I was still up blogging at that time, so I told him to take some Pepto. He whined because he hates it, so after about an hour he went to the store and bought some tablets that he could just swallow. About 10 minutes later he threw up everything that he ate that day. He felt immediately better, but about 10 minutes later he got the pain again. This time it was a sharp stabbing pain right behind his sternum and radiated back to his back. We started searching on the internet for what it could be, he wasn't having any arm pain, and it was in the middle, not the left side of his chest. Still, everything on the pointed to heart attack. So we rushed him to the hospital.
Reason #23 it is good to live close to your parents: Call mom at 3am and have her come over to sleep with son so you can take husband to ER.
The good thing about going into the ER with chest pain is that they not only get you in a room ASAP, but there were 5 men ripping open needles, taking EKG's, doing a chest x-ray... all within a 5 minute period. But then they find out your NOT having a heart attack, so they put the brakes on, go have a latte or whatever they drink behind the nurses station, and pretend that you didn't come in at all. The doctor finally came in after about an hour and told him that everything was okay. Really? Everything is fine? I was hoping it was, because if I were having a serious problem- an hour is just too long! DUH! He asked Jason if he still had his gallbladder. BINGO. That was it. I was sure of it! He gave us some options of going home and trying some acid reflux medine to see if it was just indigestion, or we could have an ultrasound to rule out the gallbladder. We had already been there a few hours, heck what was another one- or two- or three-. So the doctor ordered the test. I was starving! It was now 9:30, and I hadn't been asleep all night and my stomach was growling like crazy! While he went to get his ultrasound I went to the cafeteria to eat something. They have the best food! I wish I could have breakfast there everyday. Good, and inexpensive. I had gotten back and Jason's dad was there. My mom was on her way with Brendan. And we were getting the results back saying that his gallbladder was full of stones and was infected. The only way to fix that is to take it out. The ER doc called one of the General Surgeons and got him on the waiting list for surgery later in the evening. Yes, a whole 6-7 more hours of WAITING. I am just grateful that we didn't have to go home and do it another day. He was in so much pain. He said the only other pain to compare it too would be his kidney stone a few years back. I was awake for 24 hours at this point. I needed some sleep! Mom took me home and I took a 3 hour nap. We hurried back to the hospital but they had already taken Jason, by surprise, earlier than anticipated into surgery. I didn't get to see him before he went in, and now I regret going home to sleep. I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but he was there for me every single time, and now- I wasn't there for him. I felt like a terrible wife. We met him back in his room when he got out around 6:30pm. He was hysterically funny coming out of anesthesia. I promised him that I wouldn't write what he said on the internet. So, email me and I'll tell you- JK. I do have pictures of the gallbladder, but I didn't want to gross anyone out. If you want to see it, let me know!
The doctor let him stay overnight, but I went home to get some sleep. I got up today and brought him home. He has been doing really well. He only has a little pain in comparison to what he was in. In fact, last night he was inviting all of the nurses in to party with him. I'm glad I went home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
whew, what a scare. glad to hear everything is ok!!
ReplyDeleteI want to see the G.B. I love gross stuff! Glad he's doing great!
ReplyDelete