Today our baby died. The 1994 Toyota Camry that we have had for almost 10 years threw a tantrum, overheated on Jasons way to work this morning and never started back up. *tear* He flushed the radiator about a month ago, so we thought we would be fine for a while longer. We were 10k miles away from the big 200. It was a milestone to be proud of. One that will never be. *another tear* He had quite the morning. He has to BE at work at 6 am. He works about 35 miles north of our home and it is all freeway. On the off-ramp it died. He waited about 10 minutes to see if it would cool down. It still didn't start. He calls me at 6 am and tells me of his predicament. He needed the secret work number that I am NEVER supposed to call. Did I actually have it? He has never given it to me, mostly because he doesn't know it himself. We just use our cell phones. I am still under a muttled cloud of sleepiness as I tried to think.... I quickly thought of the time he tried to call me while I was in Bear Lake. Could that have possibly been the super-secret-never-to-be-called-number?? I stumbled out of bed to find my almost dead phone. Damn thing dies every 2 minutes even when fully charged. I quickly scan the numbers. There it is. I think. I give him the random number. (I ought to ask him if it worked and then save it in my phone as "The Bat Phone") But back to the car. You can see how easily I get sidetracked. Sorry. He called work to let them know that he was thisclose to being there. He then calls his dad to come and tow him home and then take our other car back to work. He made it there about 9 am.
So, now I am at home with a broken car. I call some places and have a guy tell me he would look at it for free. We just had to tow it there. My dad hooked me up behind the Suburban and I was towed for the first time in my entire life. There is NO GLAMOR in being towed. 30MPH with your hazard lights on. Even though it was cloudy out, I still wore my sunglasses hoping no one would recognize me. Dad said it was a very good, uneventful ride. Unless you count all the jerks from the chain that pulled when I let the slack get too loose. I thought the bumper was going to rip off at any second. Then the guy at the radiator place asked me if I had a twin sister. He looked like he was 10 years older that I am, and thought I went to elementary school with him. I tried to non-schilantly flash my left hand bling his way, with no avail. He was my new best friend. Estimates do not look pretty. Neither did the inside of the engine. We may sell it to my new best friend who has the exact same car. He was eyeing my hood and rims. Maybe I could make him a deal. I'll even let them keep all of the garbage that Jas has strewn all over the car. That should add at least $100 more dollars, don't you think? So, off to the dealers/internet ads/friends advice on a new car. Will take donations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You do have a twin sister! me..ha! I bet dad has a new car found for you tomorrow. Poor Camry. I bet it's fun to say that you ran the car into the ground. We will say that with our Altima I hope. There's extra space by Lyla if you need somewhere to cry.
ReplyDeleteYeah, we did run it into the ground! And it still has a 1/2 tank of GAS, DANG IT!! And I did tell him that I had a sister who looked like my twin. He was so gross. *shiver*
ReplyDeleteThanks for the crying spot. I may have to take Brendan there. He "really, really, really miss Daddy's car."
For Pete's sake Mandy, I read your headline and thought somebody really died! BB
ReplyDeleteSomeone DID die! Our beloved CAMRY!! HA!
ReplyDelete