Saturday, August 16, 2008

The 8th Wonder and Lame Unions

Well, I have officially melted my brain with the Olympics. I, like the rest of the world, watched with passion Mr. Mikey Phelps win 8 Gold metals. What a terrific feat. Now I can stop watching. I am unimpressed with the way the Chinese have handled everything to do with these games. The fireworks, the cute little girl who wasn't actually cute enough for them, the underage gymnasts... etc... If it weren't for Phelps, and his cute little mom, I probably wouldn't be watching anything. The women's all-around was pretty exciting though... but that was after a swim meet. And what about Bob Costas? He has had a LOT of plastic surgery. Nothing is more evident now that I have an HD tellie. Sometimes I just can't stand that guy. I thought they fired him a long time ago. At least they didn't bring back Hannah Storm. I might have just banned NBC all together. Like I said- now I can get back to more important things like watching HGTV or blogging!
Now to the real issue. Jason is having a problem with his new job. He has to be a part of the Union. There are 3 people that aren't members, and they have them on a blacklist. So, hesitantly he joined. When he got hired they told him that he would need to pass off 3 tests in order to get his first raise. They told him that it took an average of about 6 months to do this. Well, he finished those tests in 3 months. He went to petition for his raise, and the union members who have been there 20 years are putting up a fight because it took them the whole 6 months to get the raise and he shouldn't be able to get it sooner than that. These people have worked their way up from janitor, have been there 20-some odd years and didn't really work their butts off to advance very fast because hey- it's a job. And as long as their part of a union, no one can take that away. So now he has to wait for his raise. He has been in to talk with the Union President to see what they can do. He also wants to start training for more tests... the ones to get an even better raise. They also want him to wait for that too. They don't want Mr. Chemist Degree to come in and start taking over the place. His complaint to the Pres is that he does the same work, so he should get the same pay. Who cares (besides them) if they have been there longer. They should have worked harder too and been there 15 years sooner. I think (in this case) unions make people lazy, complacent, and jerks. Jason came home today with a gift from the refinery. A gold-plated set of coasters. NICE. Maybe if it was REAL we could melt them down and sell it to get some of the money he's owed from his raise 2 months ago!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the offer, but no. This might be the only thing we ever get from Chev, so we are going to keep them. Unless they're real of course, then we are going to melt them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, I actually looked at your blog. It's pretty cool. It hasn't inspired me to start my own, but I just might take a gander at yours once in a while. (By the way, it's "mind meld" from Star Trek. Vulcans can do it!)

    ReplyDelete