Tuesday, May 27, 2008

In Memorandum...

Since today is Memorial Day I was thinking about my Grandparents. Originally this day was set up to remember the Service Men and Women who served and died for this country, but has since become one to remember all of our past loved ones. Both of my Grandpa's served in the military. Grandpa Pettingill served in WWII as a mechanic behind the scenes and in Korea, re-writing military handbooks before they discharged him. Grandpa Davis served in WWII as a mechanic stationed in Pearl Harbor after the Japanese bombed it helping rebuild and repair ships and planes. I have one Great Uncle Alfred Beeler (Grandma Pettingill's brother) who was a part of D-day. If you have ever watched Saving Private Ryan then you know what happened. He would never talk about it, but would always have nightmares about it. Right before he died he finally told his story in a journal which is VERY INTERESTING to read.

Military aside, I miss my Grandparents dearly.


Themla & Floyd Pettingill. We would have sleepovers at their house every once in a while. We always had Christmas Eve at their house. Grandpa would love to share his music collection with you every time you go over there, and I think he had the worlds first big screen TV. They would always have a new boat, motor home or snowmobiles. We would go camping or boating with them every once in a while. I remember one time us girls slept in the motor home (if you called it a camper Grandpa would sternly correct you!) and in the morning we told Dad that there was a bear in there. Grandpa was snoring so loudly that he scared us! HA! Grandma made the BEST homemade pancakes around, and she also had the best Candied Yams. Both of which we still make all the time today. To this day I think that their basement was haunted.


Reva and Myron Davis. I shared my birthday with Grandpa. This was the best day of the year up until the year he died. We burried him one day before, and so that was a hard one. They had a house up in Lava Hot Springs that we would go to at least once a year. (Jason calls this house a cabin because it isn't very big, but it IS a house dang it!) Such fond memories of that house and trips there linger in my dreams and I miss being able to go there. We always played cards at least once a day with Grandma when we moved her down here. My grandpa could build anything. He was a machinist and had a shop out in his garage. He invented lots of things with his brothers. Grandpa had a real hard shell, but once you cracked it, he was the softest, gentlest man. Grandma was a great friend and I was grateful to be a part of the last years of her life.
To this day, I think that their basement was haunted.

Neither set of Grandparents were active in the church so when they died we got to do their temple work. That was really special to witness all of that done for each of them. It was especially neat to see my mom and dad sealed to their parents for time and eternity.

I love you guys, and will see you again someday.

2 comments:

  1. Where is this journal? And how come I never have heard of these WWII stories before? On the other hand, I think that Grandma and Grandpa Davis' basement was more haunted than the Pettingill's. Remember that stuffed lizard in Ken's room. Creepy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, I loved reading your posts about your Grandparents. It took me back to a more simple time and left me somewhat lonely for my folks. I love reading your blog and I love you for who you are and for the love and compassion you have inside of you.
    Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete