Friday, November 28, 2008

Mental block

I hope no one ate as much as I did Thursday. Seriously, my stomach couldn't have held any more, and the swelling is still not down. I can't believe how little I have wrote this month. Inasmuch as I love to talk, I guess I haven't had much to say- besides some complaints-- so here I go...
I have insomnia. Not just a little insomnia, but the I-can't-sleep-even-though-I'm-passed-out-on-turkey kind of insomnia. I have been taking some prescription sleep aides because the OTC ones DO NOT WORK. I tried. I overdosed. I cried. I have not slept. And what makes it worse? I have gotten Restless Leg Syndrome over the last few weeks. There is nothing worse than having taken a sleep aide then not sleeping, but also getting up at 3am and taking a hot bath because your legs are achy, tingly, and you can not quit moving them because you think they are going to fall off. Either that, or you are going to CUT them off. I have had this actually ALL DAY today. I usually just get this glorious symptom at night, but today I had the opportunity to have it all day long. Good times. I talked with Heidi about it, because I have never heard of this before- and thought I was just going crazy until I Googled it. She had it too. Has anyone else had this while pregnant? I guess has anyone had it? What can I do besides the moonlight bathtubs and rubbing my legs till my hands are numb? Because I can't take Ibuprofen.

Now that Christmas is just a heartbeat away I am getting more excited for it. I'll admit that it has taken me a while to get the "Christmas Spirit" It hasn't helped with no sleep, I guess. We also get to find out what we are having right before. Still no names planned other than Tarzan. Brendan is ready with that one the second you ask. I am NOT ready to name a kid after the man of the apes. I already have a monkey child, I don't want another one!

8 comments:

  1. Oh restless leg sydrome.. I have it without being pregnant but its worse when I am.. It sucks so I feel your pain..LITERally.. My doctor told me to eat alot of banannas.. it seemed to help a little but I could have just been smoking something.. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banana's? I'll definately have to try that. I wonder if Banana-bread has the same effect?? Thanks for the tip! Jason thinks it's all in my head. Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute Christmas page! I think I had restless leg syndrome..either that or just really bad anxiety. Either way, I am sorry! That sucks! I too have had a hard time catching the spirit of the holidays. I am going to start decorating tomorrow so maybe that will help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that you've been having such a rough time. I hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I've never been pregnant but I do have regular RLS. I've had it all my life. One time, as a kid, my family and I were on a road trip and I started crying in the back of the car because I "couldn't get the energy out" of my legs. My dad, very compassionately, allowed me to get out of the car and run a block or two before letting me back in. It did the trick too! I was fine for the rest of the trip.

    As an adult, I've found that eating any kind of processed sugar (ice cream, cereal, candy, et...)before bedtime greatly exacerbates my RLS. Also, when I DO have it, it usually goes away pretty well by drinking a lot of water and then making 4 or 5 trips up and down the stairs (or just pacing the house for about 15 minutes).

    On the rare occasion that I get it while I'm NOT trying to sleep - like when I'm just watching TV or something - I'll usually just stand up for a while.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute little Mandy.....we're just old now and our parts just aren't what they used to be! (Does that make you feel better?)

    You DID look amazingly hot at church on Sunday so that should count for something! You may have a little RLS, but you can still work it....and working it while being pregnant isn't something everyone can pull off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherri- now your just making things up to make me feel better. Keep it coming! :) But you are right about getting older. *sigh*

    Seriously- thanks for all the great advise and sympathy. They both go very far to a depressed woman.

    Ty- migranes and RLS?? What short stick did you pick for that?? I am so sorry! And will never complain again. Except to Jason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, I don't know if I had restless leg syndrome, but I would wake up in tears and have to clench my legs and my silly husband would tell me to walk it off, it was like dead like and charlie horses at the same time-- ouch.
    ok, maybe i should be glad i'm not pregnant :)

    ReplyDelete