Brendan went to bed last night IN HIS VERY OWN BED!!!! This has been a hard work in progress. He usually has to watch a couple of cartoons and then fall asleep in our bed and then we move him in his own room. I don't blame him, my bed is totally more comfortable! Also, when that's what you've been used to, that is what's the norm. I didn't mind it actually, I love cuddling up to him as we fall asleep. I was determined to make his childhood last forever since we weren't having another. However, now that a new baby is on the way, it is going to become a bit crowded. So a few months ago we started bribing him to sleep in his own room. (Sad, I know... but whatever works!) He made up several excuses as to why he couldn't, his most favorite one being that he was afraid of the dark. No Star Wars or Superhero figures would change his mind. Oh, he still wanted those figures, he just didn't want to have to earn them. While we were remodeling Jason cut out a huge Batman sign out of plywood and painted it black. He then attached rope lighting to the back to make it glow from behind as it hangs on the wall. For the final touch we went and bought a remote switch that turns it off and on that we zip tied to Brendan's bed post. Now he has a Bat Signal to fall asleep with so he is not afraid of the dark. And if I can say so myself, it is pretty awesome looking. Jas did a great job on it! This light has been in his room for almost a month. So, did Brendan want to sleep in his super-awesome-bat-cave? No. So, we went to option two. We did this when he was potty training. Although, when it came right down to the wire he would still wind up in our bed. No toy could tempt him into going to bed in his own room. Then on Saturday Jason took him to the store and actually bought a Star Wars toy he likes to call the "Roger, Roger guy". He is a clone droid that always says that. We got the toy home and of course Brendan tried to negotiate on opening it first. After 2 nights of having it sit above his dresser looking him in the eye saying "Brendan, PLEASE open me!" he did it.
Tonight, notsomuch. He's in time out as I type because he wants the best of both worlds. Lord give us strength to carry this through. Good thing I'm already ornery from the hormones!
Tonight, notsomuch. He's in time out as I type because he wants the best of both worlds. Lord give us strength to carry this through. Good thing I'm already ornery from the hormones!
Here is the awesome sign Jason made.
Here are two more toys waiting for Brendan to want to sleep in his own bed. Can you hear them saying "Brendan, please sleep on your own so
And on totally separate, but even more exciting news note:I felt the baby move tonight!!!
I felt Brendan at 14 weeks, and that's where I am now. I have just been anticipating it for the last few weeks and I screamed when that little fish gill flipped against my lower abdomen. I swear I've felt it in the past few weeks, but tonight- without a doubt- it was there. Nausea totally worth it!
How exciting, and I'm glad we aren't the only parents in the world with a 'quasi family bed' because i dont want my baby to grow up!
ReplyDeletehow exciting that you are getting to feel the baby move. once you know what you are having-- email me your address so i can make up for lost time and send you a little something...:) i LOVE shopping for babies. and why is everyone pregnant right now? (i guess that's how it is when you're the one who wants to be pregnant:)
Good luck with the sleeping in his bed, May the Force be with you.
I am really impressed that Brendan has the will power to leave the Star Wars toys on his dresser untouched! Wow!
ReplyDeleteYeah, to feeling the baby move!
Kylie is trying to earn a Barbie Diamond Castle doll. However, it's not for sleeping in her own bed. She actually has to earn a whole chart full of stickers by being good. Only 46 more stickers to go! Ha! So, the doll sits on her pink chair in her room, staring at her day after day after day. GOOD LUCK! Also, congrats on the baby moving! When do you find out what it is?
ReplyDelete