Over the weekend we had another Nigburpalooza for the blessing of Baby Sam. The in-law's were down and all around so we were together all weekend. We also had the Annual Halloween Party while everyone was together. I'll post pictures of that soon. Good times!
Brendan has been very curious lately about how things work. More specifically- how Mama's body works now that it has a baby inside. My SIL Jill was nursing Baby Sam one of the nights and because he was covered he looked at her and asked "What are you feeding Baby Sam?" She immediately looked at me and said "I'll let you take that one, Mandy." Ooh, thanks. I was actually prepared for this question. It was coming sooner or later, right? "Mommy's make special milk that we can feed the baby." Lets hope he leaves it at that. Cousin Kylie who happens to be standing there and happens to have a new baby sister quickly replied rather loudly "Yeah, and it comes out of her boobs!" Thanks Ky. Brendan just gave me that look... you know, the "Is that true look." "Yep." I quickly replied and then hurried down the stairs.
The next night he had more questions.
B: "Mom, where does the baby come out of your body?"
M: Being very prepared and using my sister Kelly's answer to her daughter just 7 months ago: "Mom's have 3 holes. One for pee, one for poop and one for babies." Katelin was satisfied with this answer. She actually thought it was gross. Brendan probed for more. Then I thought of something else. "Actually, Mama's doctor cut her stomach right here and took the baby out of the hole." I thought a boy would think that was AWESOME!
B In a panicked tone: "Oh NO! Did they hurt you mom? Was there blood? Are you okay? I don't like that at all!!"
M: Okay, stick to the 3 hole bit "Okay, they just come out of that baby hole that I talked about before. Let's go talk to dad."
We head in to talk to dad and he is wondering where all the questions are coming from. Doesn't he know that we are just naturally inquisitive people? I LOVE to know how the body works. I come from a long line of enquiring minds. My mom even bought a medical encyclopedia when I was growing up. I loved Human Biology in school and I actually became a Medical Assistant in another life. One life many, many years ago. So we thought it would be a good idea to show Brendan some pictures of the baby in utero. We couldn't find one fast and I had oddly enough turned off the computer for the night so Jason went and found his Biology books from college. Brendan was enthralled! He was seriously into it for 20 minutes! We showed him everything; the brain, intestines, heart, bladder... you name it. He loved it. It was like his mind was in overdrive, wanting more. It made me proud. And also made me hopeful for a successful surgeon in the family. No one needs one of those in the family like I do!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment