Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spring is officially starting

I had my first baseball tryout this last Saturday. Yes, MY baseball tryout. Do you think I had any idea what the heck was going to happen? NO! For the last two years Brendan has signed up, showed up and played. Period. This year we get to the ball field get number 80 and stand in line for 2 hours before the first rounds of tryouts were over.

TWO HOURS.

FOR THE FIRST ROUND.

Brendan waiting, watching, and being excited. I love watching my kids get excited over things. It makes waiting for two hours with a whiny baby almost worth it.

As long as she had her binky and bear we were fine. Oh, and my lip gloss. And a baseball. And that water. Yeah, I'll just be okay with those things. Oooh- and that french fry from that lady over there. Do you think she would share??

Pinning on his number so the coaches that were lined up around the bases could know who he was and rank him and draft him to a team.

The first round consisted of the boys swinging at a machine pitch three times and then running as fast as they could all the way to second base. Brendan hit one of the three, which made him one better than most of the other kids. He ran really fast too. I heard one of the fathers standing around (I'm hoping it was a father and not some creepy sex offender.) say "Whoa. That kids fast."


Then they got in line on the other side of the field to do the second round of the tryouts. This round they played short stop and stopped grounders hit to them and threw them to the first baseman. They did this twice. Then they went over and lined up to be the first baseman. I was ready to gouge my eyes out thinking that this was going to be another two hours. Not because I hate baseball. Quite the contrary. I love baseball. It was that I had Addison with us and it was getting past her nap time. And she is cutting an upper two year molar. YAY! If I had known tryouts were an all day thing I might have left her home with Grandma. In fact I called Grandma to see if I could bring her home and I would be back WAY before Brendan was ever up for his turn. However, by the time I got off the phone starting at one- they were up to number 20. They say that after their turn was over they could just leave. Which was good because there were kids numbered up past 130.

They got their act together over there and had the kids cranked out in 30 minutes. (well, up to Brendan anyway.)

Brendan's coach called us the next day and introduced himself. He is Coach Potter and Brendan is on the Rockies! Coach told me that they took third in their division last year. After I got off the phone Jason said to me, "You should tell him you want Brendan on the first place team instead." HA HA. I'll let him call him up. For all I know Coach Potter has a wand and could place a curse on me.

This dude is serious though. Practice two nights a week under the lights from 7:30 to 9. These are 1st graders! He will also hold a few practices on Fridays at the same time. I guess now is the time that Brendan needs to decide if he wants to be serious about baseball or not. Right now I get the feeling that he wants to go out and have fun, but not be so into it. Which is fine with me.
It will also be fine with me if he wants to be super serious about it. But, it's up for him to decide. That's how I roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment