Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Giving that up for Lent

No, I'm not Catholic, but I feel I have to participate in this world wide event. I actually do this every year. That is, I think about it every year. Give something up for 40 days? Highly unlikely. Especially since I'm prego and I could totally crave that very thing and then BAM- I've sinned. I just can't handle that kind of pressure! I sin enough already to have that hanging over my head. That being said- I can certainly give up shoe shopping for the next 40 days. This is going to be an easy one because I'm not sure if my feet are going to grow that half size like they did with Brendan. I was so disappointed because Heidi and I used to share all of our shoes and now I can't because they are all TOO SMALL! Not to mention I gave her a lot of my old shoes once they didn't fit. So, I am going to save my money and make sure the shoes I do buy afterward fit. Luckily, my feet have not swollen like a Butterball turkey yet. Yet. I still have 2 1/2 months. I am not going to pretend that it isn't going to happen - just because this time it is not record heat for the month of July 2003. I am totally skipping July which makes my body temperature drop just thinking about it. I am still wearing my wedding ring too- which reminds me- TAKE IT OFF BEFORE YOU HAVE TO GET IT CUT OFF. Duly noted. The ring is a quarter size bigger as well. My joints really let loose last time. Good times.

Since I gave something up very dear to my heart I feel that I got cheated by not participating in any Fat Tuesday events. Maybe I should drive down to New Orleans. How come New Orleans was designated party city? They are not even Catholic down there. They are all in Voodoo. (who do- you, remind me of the babe... sorry, had to do it.) I do wish to visit there someday. Maybe I'll give them a few more years to have everything cleaned up for me. As for obtaining beads? Well, lets just say I'm going to have had two kids. No one wants to see that. And certainly no one would give beads. I think they would throw tomatoes.

What would you give up if you had to for religion's sake?

**2 hours later*** I am going to have to retract my no shoe buying stance. I just got 3 shoe related emails that are having sales and one pair that I have been wanting for 5 months is now under $15! It was 69.99!! They are flats, they will get me through the rest of my pregnancy without too much discomfort AND then I can wear them in the summer without socks. It's a win-win. Except for losing the Lent game. Dang it! I still have a minute to think about something else..... Facebook. I am totally not getting on Facebook for the next 40 days. Unless I get friend requests... I'll have to confirm or ignore those, but after I will log out. I'm going to go put that on my status for the last thing. Whew- I feel better. Wouldn't you after seeing these super cute flats for less than 15 bucks??

6 comments:

  1. Mandy- Thanks to you, I just had a laugh-out-loud-alone moment...You are killin' me. Here I am 2 days post "fat tuesday" and my greedy little ass can't part with a single thing! I think it is going to be white flour...pasta, bread, etc. uneless it is whole wheat. Does that count? I know it is totally lame but I think psychologically lent is a way better 4 letter word than diet!!! Anyway- Thankyou for the hearty laugh- now go buy you some shoes:) Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy!! Robin and I were just talking about this and I may have to retract my "promise" also!! I swore I would give up coffee (except on the weekends) and thus far, my first day is ridiculous. My mouth is watering and my vision is blurry, I just don't know if I can make it! Anyway, good luck with whatever it is you decide to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am Catholic and traditionally I just stick with the whole no meat on Friday thing. In the past I've given up candy (as a kid), swearing, soda, gossiping and negative comments. Another thing to consider is to give up something that requires you to start doing something. This year I am giving up the bad habit of not wearing my seatbelt-so for 40 days I will wear my seatbelt all the time. I hope that will turn it into a habit!

    On another note, I love that you included "Voodoo. (who do- you, remind me of the babe". That was a great flashback for me: I would dance around in my living room when I was a kid while watching the movie Labyrinth, pretending I was in the movie with the Jim Henson characters and David Bowie. But I digress...

    Have fun with lent and enjoy your shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisha- That is great advice! I think no swearing for 40 days would be a sacrifice for me... and it would be good for my son! I try so hard anyway, but damn it to hell- it is so hard! Okay, that was the last outburst. I realize that Lent is supposed to make you a better person in some way. I really think the whole world should do it! Thanks for the comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea, you should give up swearing. That's a good one. better than banning facebook for 40 days. i would do that anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to know where you found the shoes....so cute and look so comfortable. Being on my feet all day teaching kindergarten, I am always looking for cute, comfortable shoes!!

    ReplyDelete