If you live anywhere in a 100 mile radius of a Morgan Jewelers you were apt to hear their radio ads at least a million times, whereas their TV commercials were probably double that.
In a nutshell- The guy gives a girl a Morgan Jewelers box for Christmas. She goes on and on about what a perfect gift that was "No more sweaters, or car wash certificates... you get it." She says she's going to run and tell her mom. At the end you hear the guy saying "You haven't even opened the box yet."
Jason and I first heard that on our way home from somewhere and I just started laughing. I said "My family would so get that box and have a pair of socks or a tie or something totally different in it." Jason laughed too because he knew they would. We are the family of wrapping shoes in a shirt box, or a shirt in a toy's box. I have actually taken a toy out of the box and wrapped it in something different just so they couldn't guess. And it all has to do with my mother who will pick up a box, do a little shake and say "Shirt" or "Vacuum" or whatever you put your hard earned thoughts into she would shatter with the mere touch of the box. No- just looking at the box. You must hide that box until it is her turn to open something, or she will just ruin everything. Remember Mom when I didn't get you anything and I said it's the thought that counts? Well, it's because I couldn't come up with anything great. So, there you go. Yes, I know I will never live it down, but I'm okay with that.
On a related note, my family was into an intense game of Wheel of Fortune on TV (is there any other kind??) and there were 3 words to be solved for the final puzzle. We were all supposed to be quiet and keep it to ourselves if we knew- because we didn't want it ruined! Before the person picked ANY letters and before ANY of them were even turned over Mom walks in the room and says "Stick Of Gum" and walks off. Damned if she was RIGHT! We were all so mad at her! She didn't know that we were all going to try to guess and here she is walking in nonchalant and guessing too. That darn Stick Of Gum has not lost any significance around the Pettingill house. Oh no... and so we try our darnedest to make things more difficult for her to guess.
So there we were at the Pettingill's on Christmas afternoon opening gifts. My mom hands me a small squarish box wrapped all pretty with a bow on top and I start swooning... completely imitating the jewelry commercial. I unwrap the paper and this is what I saw:
No, I did not know before quoting the commercial that it was, in fact, a real box. I mean- who'da thunk it?? I almost peed my pants laughing. Almost, because I had that bladder fixed and all. And well worth it too. So I continue opening- knowing full well that their is NOT going to be jewelery in that box. What I did find was a car wash gift card. A gift that the girlfriend on the commercial was grateful NOT to get. I loved it!
The people at the jewelers were really reluctant to give Mom this box. They didn't want inferior jewelry to be put in there and ruin their reputation. When my mom told them of her plan they looked at her like she was the first person to ever say such a thing. She was willing to pay them for their box, but they weren't going to give it to her. She finally had to talk to the manager and he reluctantly gave it to her.
Mom, I have to say that this by far was the greatest gift of the year. Well, that and the snow blower. Kind of a tie. I love you so much! The fact that you went above and beyond a gag gift will never be lost on me. I'm keeping that box for a later date in which you might get it back. Perhaps with a Stick Of Gum in it.
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment