Sunday, August 1, 2010

What's not to love about a roller coaster?

Saturday was Jason's work day at The Fun Place. For the last few years we have tried to get Brendan to ride the old wooden roller coaster. The first year he was too short. The next year he was too afraid. This year, oh boy, this year would be the year I got him to ride it with me. I love it! He would love it too, right?

On a trip to the mall a few days before, Brendan saw the Build-A-Bear store and right on cue repeated the commercial word for word trying to talk us into buying him a bear. I had Jason take him into the store while I shopped at another to buy some 'patience' time. That was a bad idea. He came out crying that dad wouldn't let him get the bear that he wanted. An idea hit me. I would bribe him on that roller coaster. Bribing works with this kid 85% of the time. If he wants it, then he will find a way to get it. So, I walked back into that store with him. I had him pick up the bear that he wanted so badly. I had him give that bear a hug and tell it that he would be back in a few days after he had ridden that roller coaster.

It worked. We rode a lot of the kiddie rides and he even played in the splash fountain for a solid 30 mintues. It was time to ride the big roller coaster!

He was dripping wet. But- not hot anymore! I thought about joining him.

In line! We're up!

Before...
After...
After his fateful ride he was ready to go home. He didn't want anything to do with the park. And then we walked past the cars... He found his smile!
But then, really, he was done. Then he saw the helicopters. And the bumper cars. Then we finally left the park. Only a few hours there was perfect. He wanted to make sure we got to that bear shop before it closed. His name is Rex, and he is taking him for show and tell tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. hope it doesn't scar him for life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha. Don't worry, I couldn't get Hazel to ride on Puff when we went. And Erick and Evan cried on almost every ride, except the cars. I tried to bribe Hazel into riding Puff but there was nothing I could give her to get her on that thing. You should have heard Carlye when we went on Wicked last year, I thought she was going to cry, instead she just swore the entire ride.
    It is nice to see that I am not the only one who has had crying children at Lagoon :)

    ReplyDelete