A special I'm sorry goes out to Sherri. I didn't mean to wait so long to tell the last of my tale. I've been busy searching the internet for a new car! And we went out of town this weekend to get some more boating done before the summer ends. But, Joyce had her laptop with us so I continued the search in the condo. Good times!
Last weekend when I went to the dealer to 'look' at the Murano I never told him that I was actually driving down to get one that he wasn't selling me. Is that rude? I don't think so. Like I said, he was very knowledgeable about the car, telling me a lot of things about it that I didn't know. Little did he know that he was doing it all in vain. Another special I'm sorry goes out to Stefan from Bulgaria for wasting his time. To my credit though, I did tell him that we were just looking to see if that is the car we were wanting and looking for. We specifically told him that we were only LOOKING. I'm sure when they go to car salesman school "I'm only looking" means they only ask three times if you want to buy it, as opposed to ten times.
The Sunday before we drove a lifetime away to get a non-car I searched the internet like I do to make sure that was the absolute one I wanted. Yes, I’m that kind of shopper. I inherited that from the Pettingill side. Although, it should be said that Jason will go to at least three stores before he will decide on a pair of sunglasses. But I digress. There was another Murano that had just been posted that was a year older and had a few more miles on it. Ironically it was at the dealer Stefan worked at, but I was sure I wanted the other car. So off we went. On our way home I called Stefan to see if the second choice was still available and that I wanted it. I told him where I was and why and that I most likely would be there with Jason after we got home.
After all of this had gone down I called Jason. I told him the whole story. He ultimately doesn’t care, because it’s going to be my car anyway. I could drive a Yugo and he wouldn’t care, as long as he didn’t have to ride with me. He does give me a little input here and there, but “It’s up to you” is his final answer. So he said “Why don’t you just go straight there with your dad? I can meet you there after work.” Fine.
Something I must interject here is that my whole family knows that if Neil approves of a car, then it’s a go. Neil’s passion is cars. He will sit at work and look online for cars. He bought his BMW after months of searching and happened along a good deal. If you haven’t looked at at least 100 cars then you haven’t found the right one.
Dad and I drove right to the dealer to find Stefan. As soon as we pulled up in the parking lot even before turning off the car, ten salesmen came out to greet us. Isn’t that nice? Half of them dissipate after I tell them who I’m looking for. As we wait Dad and I walk around the lot looking at most of the cars. We finally see Stefan pulling up in the beautiful Murano I saw online. One of the dealers had been using it though and so it had all her junk in there. I’m going to be honest. When I sat in the car for the first time I thought “Who let the bobcat loose in this car?” Dash buttons were all scratched up, the back seats armrest drink holders were broken and I know that it needed to be detailed, but really! By this time it was 5:30. Jason would be off work in 30 minutes and it would give the guy time to start up the negotiations before he got there. I told my dad to go home so at least he could relax. His parting words were “Don’t go above X amount.” I was going to stand my ground.
This is where I’m going to say that I HATE dealing with salesmen. These guys in particular take the cake. Let’s say that the dealerships name was Smith’s Auto Sales. Well, I should know that this car was in the Smith family exclusively. It was a perfect car. I am not going to find a better car than this because Smith owned it himself! I mean, the power and prestige could be at my measly fingertips! It has been maintained perfectly. (besides the whole bobcat thing…)
Nope- not paying a dime more than X. That’s all I’m approved for, and that is all I think its worth, frankly. Actually, less even. Those buttons alone are driving me crazy just thinking about them. And I would see them EVERY TIME I got in the car. Do you know what he did?? He went out and with a black sharpie colored in the cracks. Geesh! Why didn't I think of that? Oh, probably because IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP!
Well, we can’t go below Y, because when Smith traded in his car we gave him top value and a better price on the new car.
Sorry- still not paying more than X. Now, I am getting mad. They send in the Sales Manager to give me the Smith story.
Sorry guys, still not buying it. Now, they send in the General Manager of Smith’s Auto Sales. Only he comes in with printed papers showing the loss he would be taking. First of all, GM, you should be wearing a shirt and tie to make me take you serious. Not some mesh jogging shirt with your sunglasses on your head like you just got done with a run. I mean you are representing Smith now, and because this car is basically made out of gold, you should be making a hell of a better impression. I tell GM that I just got home from a VERY LONG, very bad road trip. It is now 7:30; I’m hungry, tired and tired of the runaround. I left the room for a minute to call my dad. I had gotten about five phone calls from him while in negotiations telling me of better cars that he is seeing online right that minute. He got home and immediately on the computer.
GM, SM and Stefan were all in the room when I lay the smack down. I AM REALLY NOT BUYING YOUR BELOVED CAR. You’d have thought I’d just peed on the Holy Grail with the look that they gave me. GM said "I dare you to find a better car for this price." I didn't tell him that my dad already had online, about five times over.
Stefan walked out with us to our car. He kept trying to have us take it out for dinner and that I would feel better after eating. After we got home he actually texted me probably five times to see what we could work out. I finally told him after four more days of texting and messages that I was going elsewhere to find a car.
The more I have thought about it the more I am positive of this fact: IF this was in fact Smith's personal car; and he runs a VERY successful dealership; I guarantee that he had that car written off the books when he got it. So the very fact that they were trying to sell me the story of losing money when in fact it was most likely 100% profit really pisses me off.
A third special I'm sorry goes out to all those who just read this longest post ever. And yes, I am still searching for that perfect car.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Alright, finally closure! Thanks for finishing your story. I did get your email about your new beauty and... I... love it! Wow, I am requesting a ride the next time I am Utah. Woo-hoo!
ReplyDelete