Today I got my first call from Brendan's elementary school. I was having a leisurely day up until then. It was 1 in the afternoon and I still had my jammies on. What? I am totally allowed a jammie day. At least once a week even. I happened to hear Jason's phone vibrating on the counter so I went to answer it as he was giving Bentley a bath. I didn't recognize the number and almost didn't answer it. But I did, as I'm nosey like that.
Secretary: "This is Brendan's elementary, is this Jason Nigbur's phone?"
Me: "Yes, this is Brendan's mother."
S: "Brendan has had an accident during recess that cut his elbow. Debbie (Grandma D) is with him now, but we think you need to come and take a look at it. It's pretty deep."
M: "Okay- we'll be right there."
Good thing I was nosey, right? Also, mental note to change emergency numbers on his form because Jason NEVER has his phone. That is- at least when it's an EMERGENCY!
Jason hurries and finishes Bentley's bath. I hurry and get some makeup on and get some decent clothes on. Addison is crying wondering why everything all of a sudden went into high gear. I'm also thinking at 100 mph which hospital to take him to, will he really need stitches, I think the school obviously made a bigger deal than it really is.... yada yada yada. Jason even says in the car that he thinks it's only going to be a scratch.
Apparently, Brendan was on the swing set after lunch and a girl was playing with the swing right next to him and was swinging it side to side instead of back and forth. The swings chain got him just right on his elbow and it split it right open. You could see the fatty tissue inside of it. It was only about an inch long, but it was open really wide and was pretty deep. Ew.
We called my Father-In-Law to watch Addison while we wait for four hours in Instacare. We got to the Instacare and got right in. It was a Christmas Miracle! Our regular primary cares office was a 45 minute wait so we took a chance at the unfamiliar place. It was a good gamble. The cute little nurse put a numbing gel on it for about 20 minutes before the doc would come in and said that he wouldn't need a shot. But, after the Doctor got in he whipped out the shot and basically said that the gel was crap. Well then, tell us how you really feel. Sorry he shot you down, really cute nurse. I know your doing your best.
This Doc was true jem, I tell ya. I thought he was so rude. Jason said he was just being a doctor. Brendan is rightfully terrified of the shot and he impatiently said "Oh- it's NOT THAT BAD!" Okay, so maybe he didn't shout it, but he may as well have. Brendan just wanted to look at it. He was on his stomach with his head cranked around and when Dr. brought out the locking forceps with the miniscule fish hooky thingy Brendan freaked. He thought the forceps was the needle. But the doc impatiently pushed through, annoyed that this little boy was crying. As I layed on top of him -holding him down- I kept asking him questions about our upcoming camping trip to the lake, trying to take his mind off of it.
That's right; a trip to the lake in which he will not be allowed in the said lake. And we have to manage keeping sand out of it as well. Good times. But I digress...
It worked because after the first stitch was in I told him it was done and he said "It is?? I didn't even feel it!? So, keeping asking him questions. After all three were done I said "See, it wasn't that bad, right? I mean- which was scarier, getting stitches or riding the rollercoaster?"
"The roller coaster"
Okay- stitches all around tomorrow! It's a lot cheaper than going to the amuzement park! And, apparently less scary! And, yes, we do comb his hair. Maybe all the girls are stroking his hair during recess. I have a lot of feeling that Brendan is going to get a lot of miles out of this one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Poor guy! I think it's hilarious that he still thinks the roller coaster is scarier! What a funny kid!
ReplyDelete