So, I just got used to the crying. Well, not really used to it- just numb, I guess. My mom kept harping (yes, actual harping going on) on me to call the doctor. "Crying like this isn't normal, Mandy." is what she would say. But when you held her she would stop and you could actually calm her down some of the time. I felt stupid to call the doctor and say "Well, I'm hoping that you have a medicine or some type of remedy that will stop my kid from wanting to be held all the DANG time." (as Brendan would say...) It's normal for a baby to not want to be alone Some even want to be held all the time. Finally last Sunday (the 23rd) I snapped after my mom mentioned it again and called the pediatrician's office. I just got an appointment with one of the Physician's Assistants there because my Doctor is usually booked two months in advance. She had an opening that day, but I felt like I would wait until Monday. For no other reason than I was lazy and didn't want to get ready. In telling the girl on the phone why she needed to be seen I said "She cries all the time. Isn't that weird that a baby should cry? But- that is why I'm calling." She took my info and that was that. Okay, so there was really no harping involved. Just continued concern for her daughter and granddaughter's well being. Thanks Mom.
The next morning as I was getting Brendan ready for school the phone rang. "Hi Mandy, this is Dr. Lei- what is wrong with Addy?"
What?? The doctor actually CALLED me? He actually looked at the schedule, saw that Addison was on there and CALLED me?? This just does NOT happen. I am soooo glad I was lazy yesterday and didn't go in.
"Oh my goodness! I am SO glad that you called! Addison is just crying non stop.... " yada, yada, yada- I told him the whole thing.
"It sounds like she might be getting worse with the acid reflux and is now to the point where it is bothering her full time. I want you to come in and see me. I am actually at the other office today, but I will fit you in my schedule." Dr. Lei said calmly. "We'll see what we can do to help her."
Seriously? He is not even at the office where I was scheduled, saw Addison's name and CALLED me at HOME? This is the reason I love this Doctor. I love Dr. Lei. He was like this when Brendan was a newborn and had slight RSV. He still asks about Brendan- even when we haven't seen him for a long time. He is totally on top of his game. LOVE HIM! That is why I will drive 30 miles extra to go and see him. Did I mention that I love him?
Addison is now on two different medicines for acid reflux. One to help heal the esophagus from the acid erosion and reduce the stomach acid. The other "decreases the reflux of stomach acid by strengthening the muscle of the lower esophageal sphincter". One is to be given twice a day and the other three times a day 30 minutes before she eats. I don't know about you, but when the baby is hungry- I don't have 30 minutes to tell her she can't eat yet. I've been having to give it to her while she's still asleep which seems to work out well.
Dr. Lei told me that it would take a few weeks before we start seeing a completely happy baby. After a week of being on it though I would have to say we are seeing more of a happy baby with a few bouts of crying versus a crying baby with small bits of happiness. And that is certainly perfect for me.
***Editors note*** I got this comment from my mother who for some reason left it on a completely different post. So I am going to let her have her say right here where EVERYONE can see it. I love you mom.
Joyce has left a new comment on your post "Well, it was nice knowing y'all":
This is from the harpie mother. What she didn't mention is that I insisted to go with her to impress upon the doctor that we seriously needed something for Addy. Mom was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I know because I was there 33 years ago with a screaming baby. It is not one of those times when I say to Mandy, "I hope you have a baby just like you." Wanting to be heard is now 5 generations of females on my side. Those that know Mandy, me and my mom know what I'm talking about. hee hee
did you try metamucil?
ReplyDeleteby the way, how do you like driving the BMW (big mormon wagon)
around. you look like queen of the
road.
pop
You are really a trooper! My last two babies have had the same problem and I did ALL the same things you did (even the chiropractor) and FINALLY just put them on the high dollar formula (hypo-allergenic/ broken down protein / yada yada yada) and WALLAH- we're broke but they are happy :) Good for you to hang in there and nurse- maybe I'll give her hell again this time!
ReplyDeleteso glad to hear something is working... what a cutie. and really, isn't it good they are so cute or else there would be a real problem when the crying ensues, hu? :)
ReplyDeleteMandy I can honestly say I know exactly how this feels!!! I am so sorry you had to suffer and so did Addison for so long! I am glad you got some real help! All three of my kids have had this same problem but Luke my third had it the worst. He even stopped breathing in the hostpital because of it. He is now a year old and is not on any meds!! YEA!!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if you nurse or not but if you are on formula gentle ease formula seems to make it easier for their stomachs as well.
GOOD LUCK!!