So. Where do I begin? There are several issues to go over so bare with me.
We'll start with me. Just because.
I'm a walking disaster. A tornado that has actually touched down. On the inside, anyway. I try to hold my shit together while I'm around other people so don't actually LOOK like a disaster, but who knows, maybe I already do and no one is saying anything rude about it. So, thank you. My therapist raised my medications a few weeks ago but I am pretty sure that these tears shouldn't be a side effect. I kid you not- I really don't care if I don't wake up tomorrow. Now, having said that- I'm not about to kill/harm myself because people that do it typically don't talk about it beforehand. But it's true. I'm tired of being a nasty wife who uncontrollably snaps at her husband over the littlest things. WHY IS YOUR SOCK ON THE FLOOR? I DON'T CARE THAT THE WHOLE ENTIRE FLOOR IS COVERED IN TOYS AND OTHER CRAP, BUT YOUR SOCK JUST PUT ME OVER THE EDGE! People- this sock should not be the issue. This sock should not have me crying. I am calling the therapist right now to have that looked at.
Another problem I am having is with anger. I am angry
All of these feelings, plus major anxiety mixed with a REALLY fussy baby have made me lose my milk. This is a really big thing for me as I was able to feed a small nation with my milk supply. Going from feeding a small nation- to not being able to pump out even half an ounce! Addison was just really erratic in her eating amongst the stress and depression. I guess when you add everything up it takes it's toll.
Well, I was NOT ready to give up nursing my baby yet. This is a VERY emotional thing for women to go through. It's one thing to stop when you are ready to stop, but an entirely different thing if you are not ready and are forced. I was devastated (which doesn't help PPD). So I decided to take action. I read all I could about different herbs to try and found Fenugreek to be the one everyone talks the most about. It used to be brewers yeast- but it's the new millennium folks, and Fenugreek is all the rage. So, that day I went to the hippie market and bought me some concoction called "More Milk Plus". Then I had Jason and my Dad give me a blessing. I dedicated the weekend to herbing and pumping and feeding on cue. I called upon the Lord as if it depended on him, and then went into action like it depened on me. And you know what? IT'S BACK PEOPLE! I am offically back in business. The More Milk Plus wasn't kidding around.
Having my milk back however has not stopped the tears and anxiety. I really do feel like the worst mom and wife. I feel ugly, fat and out of control. I'm not used to being out of control. You should see my house! Wait- no you shouldn't. I haven't done my hair or make up for a while. And do you know what? I don't even care. I just.don't.care. And that is the problem. I have called the therapist so I'll let you know how that goes. He is litterally a Mad Scientist.
Then I went boating.
I want to both hug you and thank you. I have no doubt that this was a hard post for you to write, but I so appreciate. I feel like so many "mommmy bloggers" only blog the good things and cast a rosy glow upon motherhood--something I find frustrating at best, and infuriating in general. The first six weeks after my first child's birth were incredibly difficult for me, and if I had only read something like this post, I don't think I would have felt nearly so alone.
ReplyDeleteAs you probably know- I have TOO much experience with this subject and would love to offer you my very best advice... if all else fails, after everything else, you must take life ONE DAY at a time- sometimes ONE HOUR at a time- and (if you are like me) sometimes ONE MINUTE at a time! And don't EVER let the thought of tomorrow ruin today! Hang in there sweety, I promise it always has to get better because that is the nature of life- always changing. Thank you for being so honest!
ReplyDeletei didn't read all of it, but i do have guns and bullets we can go to the range.
ReplyDeleteAgh, life. I always wondered why women screamed in movies/tv when they had babies-- but nobody ever shares the aftermath, like a baby biting on your sore nippes, or depression.
ReplyDeleteI was a big mess with both of my kids, and found medication to be helpful. Taking time to put the baby down --it's ok if they cry...(my little Emma was colic, had reflux and just did not want to be held...wouldn't nurse on her own....pumped and nursed until she was 6 months) and we were in and out of the hospital because she was born with a VSD (she has a hole in her heart that has to be checked by a cardiologist every few months)....whew...I was a walking kleenex. For me- being around other people forced me to cheer up a bit because although I was crazy, I could maintain some order. Some of us are like that- we can function semi-normal with mass chaos, depression, and nobody is really the wiser, except those we love the most..... and I don't really have any good advice, but hang in there. take it a day at a time- it gets better...and just as you learned with the blessing, there is such amazing healing powers in the atonement, you can turn the rest of it over to him and ask him to help you take it away, he may not all at once, but he will help you along the way.
I'm sorry I am happy for you that you got your milk back! That is real dedication!!! My babies had a hard time nursing and then with Abi I found my anxiety increased with nursing...it wasn't that I didn't enjoy it but that it was a hormonal thing...I stopped nursing her and my postpartum went away...I didn't nurse Luke and I was a lot better but I am still struggling with a major mood disorder and I am now on a birth control to manage my moods which really seems to help!
ReplyDeleteI hope you can find something...its horrible when you feel crazy(at least that's how I have felt!)