Monday, August 10, 2009

The first day of the next twelve years

Jason's mother is a Special Ed teacher for the public school system. She is one of the best in the state. (I hope to get brownie points for saying that... but really, she is.) There is a Kindergarten teacher at her school who happens to be Jason's-brother's-wife's-mother. So, Brendan's-cousin's-Grandma, or, my Sister-In-Law's Mother. Whichever way you look at it, Debbie (MIL) thinks she is the best. And with good reason. She probably is the best. She is a very nice lady. Always accommodating when we visit and always bubbly, smiley, and all those things a Kindergarten teacher needs to be.

The elementary school that is in my boundaries is on a traditional schedule. This means that the school year doesn't start for another 3 weeks. I got a letter in the mail that told me Brendan was in the morning class. Have they NOT read my blog?? Do they not know that Brendan sleeps in? They put me on a waiting list to change to afternoon, but told me not to hold my breath. OK, so they didn't really say that, but they may as well have.

I don't know why I started looking around for Charter Schools one day, but Jason told me to talk to his mom first before making any solid decisions. The first mistake was mentioning the words charter and school in the same sentence. My fingers are too tired to type all of the things that are wrong with them. So, you're saying he shouldn't go... What I am really worried about is Brendan's education. I am worried that he is going to have a difficult time. I am worried that he isn't going to ever know how to read or write or even WANT to read or write. Because he doesn't want to do these things at home. He doesn't want to practice because he "can't do it right" or "He doesn't know HOW!" I'm afraid he is going to have a lot of his father's perfectionism in him that will make him just not want to learn because he can't do it perfectly the first time. He will be 40, still living at home with us, flipping burgers because he couldn't write his 8's correctly so he throws his paper to the floor and vows never to try again. His preschool teachers told me of a different Brendan. One that loved to learn. This made me really relieved and not so paranoid. I want need would like him to have the one on one attention that I think he needs.

For reasons that I can't really say because I am so not on top of my game lately I didn't even think about Ann's class. I didn't think about the fact that I could drive a little extra way to bring me piece of mind. I would have had to drive an extra way for the charter school, so why not this? Debbie is the one who suggested it. DUH! One big problem- school started for them a week ago. Ann is on A track, which is the most like traditional, but it is already started. It's like ripping off a band aid. I thought I had three more weeks to prepare- to savor the last few weeks of summer. So, over the weekend Debbie made some calls, sent some emails and we had Brendan in class today... in the afternoon.

Brendan ready for his first day of Kindergarten!Mrs. McDougal, his teacher. AKA Granny Ann. I am thinking about shaving my head all except a ponytail area that is dyed black. No?
Here we are getting ready to hang up our back back. Grandma Debbie is there to meet us for our first day.
Sitting on the X. This is favorite letter because of the X-Men.

4 comments:

  1. It sucks to hear there is a billion things wrong with charter schools when Kylie is going to one. Hope Brendan does great in Ann's class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, Brendan is the best looking kid I have ever seen! Don't worry about his intelligence...looks will get him far in life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Elisha! Maybe we should start a modeling career. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What! Brendon is not going to Westland? *sad* You should have talked to me, I love the kindergarten teachers there, they are fabulous! I was all excited to make out our car-pooling schedule.....what do I dream about now? I've got to go console myself....

    ReplyDelete