Sunday, July 19, 2009

The end of an era

Since my "Maternity Leave" has come and gone I am finally realizing that I am actually not going back to work. Not to say that I miss it- because I really don't. Yet. But- as I was thinking about it, I have worked for more than half my life. Half. That is a long time. I have had several careers in my life starting as a waitress at Pizza Hut. Yes, Pizza Hut. That was a very glamous job. By the end of the night I was greasy from head to toe, but had a pocket full of cash. Good times. I then waited tables for several years at Sizzler. And by several, I mean 2 or 3. I was a professional waitress I tell ya.

After high school I worked at Alta View Ear, Nose and Throat Associates as a Medical Assistant. I went to the Jordan Tech center in my senior year of HS and graduated as an MA. I worked there for a year before I decided that watching little girls bleeding throats after a tonsilectomy and cleaning out old people's ear wax just wasn't for me. I did work at a family physicians office for a while, but I really didn't want to work with sick people. I liked to draw blood, give shots and all of that, but I could only do that for so long before I got sick of it. No pun intended.

That is when I started working at a stock brokerage firm where my dad worked. A broker there needed an additional assistant and thus began my illustrious career with money. And drama. I worked there for almost 15 years. I got my brokers licence in 2000 after failing the test two times before. They say the the Series 7 is designed to keep people OUT of the buisness instead of getting people in the buisness. I believe that 100%. If I ever had to take it again I would probably hang myself first. Luckily the Continuing Ed tests are as easy as "Are you sure you didn't mean B instead of A?" Why yes, that is exactly what I meant. Thank you for the suggestion. And they are the same test every year. I loved working for a brokerage firm. I loved this particular job because every day was different than the last. Sure, you had certain things you had to do everyday but for the most part there was a new drama every day. The market never went sideways- mostly. The thing I miss the most are the clients. Okay- I miss SOME of our clients. There are others that I would gladly hit over the head with a hammer. I'm sure I'll go into the office every once in a while to make sure the boys aren't having any fun without me... and to do their crap work.

2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to be a dr.. I have come to the relization that I will never be a dr.. I probably will never work again or at least for a long time.. it sucks though and you feel like you kinda loose a part of you.. although you gain so much from staying home! Its just the part of being a mother that kinda sucks... we sacrafices so much but it sooooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i often miss it also.
    especially on crowded days
    not being able to use the carpool
    lane.

    pop

    ReplyDelete