Our Grandma Nigbur has to be one of the coolest people I know. She has the greatest stories of growing up in Hitler's Germany. We heard more amazing stories of Grandpa Nigbur and his involvement in the war, and then together coming over to America with kids that she gave birth to on the dining room table. And she speaks of how we are so spoiled in our day and age with all of the modern conveniences that we have.
She has a very thick accent and will talk your ear off if you let her. And I let her.
I want to cherish the stories that she has while she's around to tell them. We don't see her as often as we should, but when we do go visit we try to take a video camera or other recording device to capture those stories. Not that I can find said recording device anymore, but- whatever! Since both my paternal and maternal grandparents are gone I have taken Jason's on as my own. So, I refer to them as my Grandma's.
A few weekends ago was Grandma's birthday. We all get together every year on what seems to be the HOTTEST day of the year, July 11th. We BBQ, play games, and hang out with cousins we only see twice a year. We had a blast! This year Grandma was talked into renting out the Water slide park for a few hours for her birthday. She rolled her eyes at me and told me that she hasn't done this in so long, and that she might not even do any of it. She does, however, water aerobics on most days of the week- so what's the big deal?
Once we got there she was ALL OVER THE PLACE! She went down those slides 100 times, I'm sure! Although I tried, I couldn't get Brendan to go down the slides- not even the little kiddie ones- because he was too scared! He did have a good time wading in the small kiddie pool.
She has a very thick accent and will talk your ear off if you let her. And I let her.
I want to cherish the stories that she has while she's around to tell them. We don't see her as often as we should, but when we do go visit we try to take a video camera or other recording device to capture those stories. Not that I can find said recording device anymore, but- whatever! Since both my paternal and maternal grandparents are gone I have taken Jason's on as my own. So, I refer to them as my Grandma's.
A few weekends ago was Grandma's birthday. We all get together every year on what seems to be the HOTTEST day of the year, July 11th. We BBQ, play games, and hang out with cousins we only see twice a year. We had a blast! This year Grandma was talked into renting out the Water slide park for a few hours for her birthday. She rolled her eyes at me and told me that she hasn't done this in so long, and that she might not even do any of it. She does, however, water aerobics on most days of the week- so what's the big deal?
Once we got there she was ALL OVER THE PLACE! She went down those slides 100 times, I'm sure! Although I tried, I couldn't get Brendan to go down the slides- not even the little kiddie ones- because he was too scared! He did have a good time wading in the small kiddie pool.
Here is Grandma Nigbur- rockin the leopard print suit. This notched her way high on the coolness scale. I NEVER saw my grandmothers in a swimming suit. I see pictures from their younger years, but never EVER when they were getting up there in age.
Here is Grandpa Dave taking Katie down the slide. We still could not convince Brendan that this was going to be SO FUN! How are we supposed to go to any other water park if he is a wuss?? Maybe next year.
Here's Grandma coming off of the slide for the 100th time. She was ripping them up!
Getting out, ready to go again.
Brendan being content on being in the kiddie pool.
Dad, Addison and Brendan all in the kiddie pool. Addison was only there for the photo op. I love this cute little swimming suit that Sherri gave me. 
Another Photo shoot for Addison. Grandma did say that Addison is the first Great-Grandchild that finally looks like a German baby. She compared her to her own kids. That made me smile.

I am needing to go over to her house so that she will show me how to crochet "The right way." "None of zis veird Aumerican way to do. It's so slow. I show you de rright way to do."
That is truly cool!!! That is how I want to be when I am 86:) Cute pics of the whole fam...except you!
ReplyDeleteshe is truly awesome.
ReplyDeletei can't even imagine do that 25 yrs from now.
She freakin' rocks! You gotta love the lady and I love the way you imitated her accent! lol! BTW, Addison's suit is soooo cute! Wish we could have been there!
ReplyDeleteDad, you could totally do that in 25 years! And Robin, let's be honest. No one wants to see me in a suit. Besides, Jason never takes pictures.
ReplyDeleteLove our oma!!! she rocks! it was lots of fun!
ReplyDeletei'm crocheting the wrong way? please--do tell!
ReplyDeleteyour gma is cute, mandy!
Boy it really looks like you all had a terrific time!!! It appears the Nigbur genes are gonna suit your kids very well in their lives!!! What to go Grandma Nigbur!!
ReplyDelete