After you were born I was holding you in my arms and several thoughts ran though my head. Would I be a good mother? How on earth was I supposed to take care of you? Why did Heavenly Father trust me with one of his children??? All of these and more continued on until I went crazy. Literally crazy. That's another story. Another one of those was the thought of you turning eight years old. Eight years would be light years away. I mean, eight in school years is FOREVER! What I didn't know was how fast time would change once you had a child. Time seems to have been pressed into fast forward and I can't make it slow down, let alone stop.
You are growing so fast. I keep having to buy you new clothes almost every day it seems! And when I tell you to quit growing you turn around and tell me that you can't. You need to be as big and strong as [insert superhero of the month here]. So I agree, and we carry on.
A few months ago you told me that once you turned eight I would no longer have to lay down with you at night while you're going to sleep. While I was laying with you the other night, I brought up that conversation and said "So, when can I stop laying down with you?" "NEVER!" was your reply. I sure hope your future wife will understand. I can hear the conversation now: "Oh-- sorry Rachel, I'll be out of here in just a minute. He just needed me to lay down with him and tickle his back a bit before I leave." Oh, how I cherish those moments with you. That's mainly why I still do it. One day it will all be gone. You tell me about your day. You try to get out of going to school the next day. You tell me your hopes and dreams. Right now those consist of having so-and-so quit bugging you at school. And how you wish you had more recesses instead of homework. Oh, how I wish I had only those problems to deal with. Like I said- Don't grow up!
Every day I tell you how you are such a wonderful addition to our family. It is the absolute truth. I am so glad that we fought hard to get you here. You are as stubborn as both of your parents and grandparents. You are so fun to be around. You're the leader of the pack, and everyone seems to follow no matter what you do. I hope that you are always leading in the right direction and not doing things you ought not be doing. I am also grateful that you are a good and honest kid. I haven't had to worry- yet- that you want to do things that are contrary to what we believe in. I hope you continue to want to be this kid. I love him dearly!
You are getting to start the cub scouts! YAY! Your dad was an Eagle Scout at 13 so you've got your work cut out for you. I hope you stay as excited about it as you are right now. I'm sure I'll have to remind you of that excitement from time to time. I'm guessing that's why they give awards to the mom's as well. They are the cheerleader awards. Maybe I'll brush up some old cheer routines. Don't worry- I won't break out the old uniform.
So why would I be thinking about the age eight, specifically? Being eight is such a special time. You're still a little kid having all kinds of fun, but you are at the age of accountability now which is so special. Knowing what is right and wrong is a very big responsibility. Our Heavenly Father has told us that this is the age at which we are to be baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It is the first eternal ordinance you'll do on this earth. By being baptized, we show our Father in Heaven we want to follow His plan for us. We promise to accept Jesus as our Savior and obey everything He tells us to do. We promise to always remember Him and the things He has done for us. We have to be baptized in order to enter the Lord's House- the Temple. If we strive to be worthy and keep his commandments you will be able to go inside someday. That is where Eternal Families are formed. You are part of an eternal family and I hope that it is your desire to continue to want to be part of our eternal family. I couldn't imagine Heaven without you there.
Life is going to throw you some curve balls. And NO ONE is perfect. That is why we have repentance to help us along our journey. We can use this special tool to make right what we have wronged. It's okay to make mistakes. Everyone does. Just remember that we need to make sure we try to only screw up on the same thing once.... Or twice, just to be sure.
Brendan, I hope you know how special you are to your dad and me. You are our most favoritist (Yes, I know that's not really a word.) boy in the whole wide world.
You are such a handsome young man! I can't even stand it!!!
I hope that you will always remember the special feeling that you had on the day you were baptized. You told me you felt different and good inside. I did too. Knowing that you are growing into such a wonderful young man makes me the luckiest mom in the world. I love you!
Love,
Mom


No comments:
Post a Comment