THE FIRST DAY OF DANCE LESSONS! (Cue Oprah Winfrey yelling it out!)
She has dancing in her blood. Running through her veins. She dances in her sleep. In the tub, in the kitchen. Wasn't she going to love it? We went and picked out the leotard and tights. But the time came to get dressed and she would have nothing to do with it. So I went to the next best thing. Her ballerina inspired swimsuit. Surely she loves that and would wear it. Um, no. She wanted nothing to do with dance.
I got her to at least carry her swimsuit and slippers to the class but she would not go into the studio. She sat in the entry/waiting area on a bench meant for me. I took her into the class. I sat down and started doing the streches with her and the other little girls her age. All of her neighborhood friends were there. Here I was, huge and doing little girl stretches- with Addison on my lap, biting her nails.
For 40 minutes I tried to get her to participate. Fifteen minutes early, and then 30 minutes of the actual class time. Surely I was annoying the teacher, so I left. Defeated. Crushed. Not the best day of my life like I always imagined. Rather, one of Jason telling her that she would go to that class next week or he would spank her. Really? Has it come to that? Threatening our child to love to do something.
I really had zero coaching in the taking of this picture. This is EXACTLY what she looked like when I tried to get her out the door. You can see that she is trying so hard not to get that sassy smirk that she gets when she's being sassy.
Next week, Addison... next week. Think about that.


You are not alone. I put the twins in a hip hop class, I had to fight Isaac on it but they were totally excited to do it. Every week I ended up forcing Evan to stay and dancing with him sometimes. He kept saying he liked it and wanted to take the class but it was always a fight once we got there. The twins were the only ones in the class so when it came to the day of the recital Evan refused to dance and Erick did a very adorable solo. Good luck! and keep trying!
ReplyDeleteI hate that! Jaxen did the same thing with swimming lessons. The only thing that worked was to just go and watch and say nothing about him participating. It had to be HIS idea. Good luck... it's a good thing she's cute! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks guys. I will try again... oh yes, I will.
ReplyDelete