I thought maybe going to Kohl's at Midnight would be a more subdued affair. So I went. And I drove in and out of that parking lot without even getting out of the car. The line that ran around the building probably two times warded me off. In the interest of mere curiosity, I went back to the Walmart and in the event that I found a superclose parking spot, would go in and observe the carnage that took place. Luckily for me, there was a front row spot. I took it and wandered in. Seriously, people! What do they get out of it? I know it's a great deal, but waiting for five, maybe six hours to get a few dollars off- then to wait in another two hour check out line does not do it for me. That was my first- and last- Black Friday experience. The time to do your shopping is at noon on that actual Friday, because people are already home and passed out from being up all night. Better yet- wait until Cyber Monday. Still great deals (albeit not Black Friday ones) but you don't have to go through all of that chaos. AND you can shop in your jammies- without the chance of being in one of those Walmart Cam emails. It's a win/win.
Sorry- I did NOT mean for that to go into a tirade. I digress.
Simplicity. I feel good about not going overboard with Christmas this year. I was done early, even wrapped early.
Christmas Eve's parties were enjoyable as always. We go over to my Uncle Dave's house for the Annual Pettingill Christmas Eve Party and then we are done in time to head over to the Nigbur's Extended Family Party.
Addison is getting big enough to do things her own way. "Addy do it!"
Making cookies for Santa Claus. Uncle Corey started this tradition several years ago, and we love it! Notice how I have both an apron AND bib on Addison. I wanted to make sure her German dress made it to the Nigbur party fairly unmarked.
We then had the kids who knew how to play the piano play a Christmas song. Addison decided she wanted to try. This was her rendition of Hot Chelle Ray's "Tonight Tonight". Her favorite song that she sings to the top of her lungs daily.
Uncle Dave and Corey give the little kids such great gifts each year and we are so grateful for them! I have to admit that I have used Brendan's Simon a time or twelve. Shhhh....
The Annual Family Photo at the Pettingill's. Hopefully next year we can include Jason in it.
Jason was home in time to meet us at the Nigbur family party. It was his first time there I think in five or six years. He is always so dang tired after working 12 hours (who could blame him) that he just goes home and crashes. Here we have a lot of Grandma's Great Grandkids. A lot of the little girls wore their German dresses that she knits for them. Addison didn't want anything to do with that photo shoot. Or this one for that matter. I had to sit in with all the little girls. It was so dang funny. Aunt Annilee, if you are reading this, please tell Mandi I want those pictures of the girls.
This is what she looks like everytime Grandma comes around. I don't know what she's afraid of. But, I had to take her picture next to Grandma Nigbur. So I made Jason sit with her. Aren't I so mean??
Finally calming her down with Mama. We get to see those beautiful blue eyes. Not quite ready to smile. Let's all remember that a two year old can only go so many hours without a nap and remain happy. Let's also think about how much sugar was consumed in those said awake hours.
Someone had an awesome idea about making cookies for Santa and the kids got to do it all over again. It was a great night and I am so grateful for Jason's family. He's got a bunch of great Aunts, Uncles and Cousins that I just adore. I'm glad they accept me to be there even if Jason isn't.
Here comes Santa Claus, Here comes Santa Claus....
I went to Walmart this year for the first time too on Thanksgiving night. I will never do it again. I do Toys R Us on Black Friday. Still kind of crazy but nothing compared to Walmart and we saved over $100 so totally worth it.
ReplyDelete